Things to Do in Charlottesville at Night
Get together with your friends or plan a date — it’s time for a night out on the town, but where should you go? Charlottesville has plenty to do during the day, but what about when the sun goes down? There are still fun things to do in Charlottesville, VA, at night, whether you’re exploring the city by yourself, with some friends or your significant other.
While the city has a rich history and offers cultural experiences during the day, you may be surprised to know that there’s just as much to do at night. Charlottesville nightlife lets you:
- See a show
- Watch a flick
- Experience live music
- Go dancing
- Grab drinks
- Get a bite to eat
See a Show in Charlottesville
Some of the best places for a night out in Charlottesville host a variety of shows throughout the year. No matter what you want to see, you’ll probably find it at the following venues.
- The Paramount Theater: The theater plays host to an impressive range of events, from comedy shows to talks by authors. You can even catch a live broadcast of thrilling sports action on the big screen with free admission.
- Bent Theatre: Laugh the night away with a comedy performance. The improv troupe of Bent Theatre performs around the city, including monthly shows at the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville.
- Charlottesville Ballet: If you prefer an evening on the elegant side, check out a performance by the Charlottesville Ballet. The dancers come from all over the country — and even internationally — and put on everything from well-known ballet performances to unique shows.
There’s a wealth of fun things to do in Charlottesville at night for everyone, so no matter what you’re interested in, there’s a show for you.
Catch a Movie at Night in Charlottesville
If you aren’t feeling up for a live show, why not watch a movie instead? Unwinding with a film is one of the most popular things to do in Charlottesville on Friday night. Catch up on new releases or see a re-release to experience an old favorite on the big screen. Some of the theaters in the area include the following.
- Regal Stonefield Stadium 14 and IMAX: Grab your favorite movie theater snacks and sit down to enjoy the show. Catch all the newest releases, from action to romance or comedy, at Charlottesville’s Regal Cinema.
- Vinegar Hill Theatre: Light House filmmaking presents their creations, filmmaker Q&As and more at Vinegar Hill Theatre throughout the year. Come out and support local creators and learn more about Charlottesville.
- Violet Crown Cinema: This cinema plays current feature films and classics from decades ago. See the latest movies or go out with your friends to catch a throwback feature as part of Violet Crown Cinema’s Signature Series.
Even if you feel like you’ve run out of fun things to do in Charlottesville at night, these Virginia locations always have a new movie to see.
Listen to Live Music Throughout Charlottesville
When you’re wondering what to do in Charlottesville, VA, at night, let the music lead the way. From loud and large concerts to intimate venues and genres galore, Charlottesville has it all!
- Batesville Market: By day, this country store and deli serves local food options, but on Saturday night, it transforms into a community gathering spot that hosts live local music. Grab a bite or a brew, then relax while you discover new musicians.
- Sprint Pavilion: As the premier outdoor venue of the city, the Sprint Pavilion is one of the best places for a night out in Charlottesville. Local and national artists perform at this venue, which has premium seating and a spacious lawn for every type of concert-goer.
- John Paul Jones Arena: See your favorite musicians perform at this venue, voted “Best New Major Concert Venue” back in 2006. The arena also hosts family shows, basketball games and more, so you’ll want to enjoy a lot of nights out at this venue.
- Jefferson Theater: Admire the vintage architecture, state-of-the-art sound and lighting and two full-service bars at this concert venue. Jefferson Theater’s historic past saw it as a silent movie theater, but today it hosts live music across a variety of genres.
- Miller’s Downtown: This venue closes at 2 a.m. Monday through Sunday, and night owls visit for live jazz every night. The kitchen is open all night, and you can find pool tables upstairs, perfect if you’re visiting with a group.
Hop between the smaller venues or get your tickets for a concert at an arena or theater. Every type of music fan will find something to enjoy on an evening out in Charlottesville!
Dance the Night Away
Feel the rhythm of Charlottesville nightlife with an evening of dancing. Get down with a group of friends at modern nightclubs or learn traditional dance skills on an evening in the city. Check out venues and groups like:
- R2, the dance club at Rapture, a restaurant that blends Southern-style and high-end dishes
- The Charlottesville Swing Dance Society hosts a Swing Swap every Thursday and monthly dances
- Swing Cville hosts weekly swing dance lessons every Wednesday and other events
You’ll also be able to tear up the dance floors of bars throughout Charlottesville, so keep your options open if you feel like going out to dance. Branch out and try something new with your friends, or grab your partner and learn how to swing dance together.
Go out for Drinks
When you’re not quite sure what to do in Charlottesville at night, the area serves up a wide range of bars, breweries, pubs and taverns. Going for drinks is always a great choice, so get your favorite at:
- Champion Brewing Company
- Charlottesville Draft Taproom
- Court Square Tavern
- FIREFLY Restaurant & Game Room
- The Livery Stable Restaurant and Bar
- Tin Whistle Irish Pub
- South Street Brewery
Watch a sports game or stay out late at these excellent bars or the array of others throughout the city. Sample mixed drinks handcrafted by area bartenders, or try local brews and wine.
Indulge in a Meal at Root 29 During Your Night Out
It’s not a night out without a delicious meal, and at Root 29, we have something for every taste. Our modern meals add a touch of Southern flavor and innovation to create something comforting, yet unique — new, yet familiar.
Root 29 has an atmosphere to suit any evening — classy enough to visit after watching a majestic ballet performance, but comfortable enough to stop by after catching a movie. With delightful menu options and a bar that serves regional wine, beer and spirits, Root 29 is among the best places for a night out in Charlottesville.
Make your reservation today and get ready for your night on the town. Once you see our dinner and bar menus, you’ll want to visit for every night out to try something new or revisit your favorites. We can’t wait to have you at Root 29!